Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Journal #6: Self-Reflection

When I started this quarter I felt overwhelmed, very quickly. I can't say that has changed a lot, but I feel like I have the tools I need to end the quarter successfully. Having people that I know taking the same classes has been a great help. We have been able to work together, share ideas, and support each other. I knew about HTML before starting the program, but I didn't know how complex it was. For me personally, it's like learning a third language. Any tag or space in the wrong place can mess up a web page, and then you sit there staring at the markup, until you figure what's wrong or you simply give up for a while. It can be daunting, but the class and book exercises have definitely helped me understand it more. The last classes have focused on CSS, which is used to style a webpage so that it's not just text that you see, but a formatted page with proper spacing, color, and font. After last class' lesson on formatting a web page properly using CSS and HTML, I can say I feel a little bit more confident with the creation of my own web page.

As for this class, the most difficult and rewarding task has been FTP. I was finally able to upload all of my work to my server about two weeks ago, but it was a headache! It was a combination of class lessons, Richard's help (lab assistant), and my own exploration that allowed to finally upload all of the files in an organized format. I had to deal with switching from saving files locally to switching to using my flash drive, which I should have done from the beginning. That was the biggest mess I had to deal with! Trying to FTP my saved local files was very confusing because some files were doubled and I didn't know what to erase and what to keep. When I switched to using my flash drive, I was able to organize my folder with the help of Richard and then I put everything up myself. It took a lot of work to have everything organized and up on the server, but when it happened it was like a weight had been lifter off my shoulders!

Here the link to my server: 512 folders

No comments:

Post a Comment